Sky yoga is a contemporary yoga style where traditional poses are performed with the aid of a fabric sling or hammock. Classes are fun, challenging and diverse. Inspired by the vinyasa style of yoga, the poses flow in creative sequences, your relationship to gravity is altered, your attention to balance and stability is heightened and your body is left stronger and more flexible.
The yoga class consists of a combination of floor and aerial asana, deep stretches and relaxation. We make use of the fabric hammock to distribute the body’s weight between the floor and the ceiling, allowing for a variety of stength-building, flexibility and core strength postures. The hammock assists in particular with challenging poses such as back bends and inversions, supporting the body’s weight, encouraging the body to lengthen as it holds a pose, and spurs the practitioner to focus on alignment. The hammock allows us to use gravity to either deepen the stretch, or lighten the load. It can add resistance, act as a de-stabilizer, it challenges balance in some poses and aids balance in others.
Classes are designed for most levels of fitness, with modifications offered for different levels of strength and flexibility. The knowledge that the sling is there to support you, encourages you to try poses you may not feel you could without that support. This gives the practitioner the confidence and muscle memory to perhaps try the pose without the sling in their regular practice.
Sky / Air yoga is strongly rooted in the traditional yogic discipline. As this style grows in popularity, we aim to stay true to traditional yogic principles and teachings. The practice is meant to compliment, not replace, any traditional yoga practice.
Benefits of Sky yoga
- Practice inversions with reduced cervical spine compression eg. Headstand
- Balance pushing power with pulling power, developing upper body strength
- Decreased compression on the vertebral discs during backward bending
- Using the sling forces the core to activate in order to maintain balance
- With support of the sling, inversions are safel held for longer periods of time without tiring.
- Using the sling highlights poor alignment habits which may be masked in the floor based practice
- The sling becomes a tool for the teacher to asses postural / muscle imbalance in the student
- To overcome anatomical limitation eg headstand, wheel, handstand, physical disability etc.
- Bucket loads of FUN!
Please refer to the schedule for class times.
Limited spaces available, Please BOOK!
Sky yoga is not included with Earth yoga’s membership fees. Drop-in classes @ R150, 5 class card @ R600 and 10 class card @ R1 100.
Please wear a top with sleeves. No perfume and no jewelry please.
See you on the hammock, let’s have some fun in the sky